Can you play what you hear?
The blues pentascale is distinguished by the use of the flattened third & fifth of the major pentascale.
- You will hear only the notes of the blues pentascales of F, Bb, or Eb.
- Listen to each pattern until you can accurately sing it.
- Play back the phrases that you hear, alternating one-bar patterns with the performer on the audio file. This may require repeated listening!
- Warning! The phrase that you hear may not begin on the tonic note.
- Click an aural playback track to begin. At the beginning of the audio, you will hear the blues scale. This will help you orient to the key.