It is amazing to realize the quantity and variety of music that has been composed using only the three primary chords. For this assignment, you will use I - IV - V triads as the basis for creating your own arrangement of a popular tune from this playlist.
Primary Chords in C Major
- The Contours: Do You Love Me? (Key of F)
- Los Lobos/Valens: La Bamba (Key of C)
- The Tokens: The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Key of F)
- Woody Guthrie: This Land is Your Land (Key of Eb)
- The Beatles: Twist and Shout (Key of D)
- Isley Brothers: Twist and Shout (Key of F)
- The Troggs: Wild Thing (Key of A)
Choose a song from the Song List and print the worksheet.
- Get familiar with the song's basic elements:
- Identify the key/tonality of the song.
- Practice playing the notes of the scale indicated in the worksheet.
- Practice the primary chords in this key.
- Create Your Arrangement:
- Listen to/sing the melody. Pick out the melody on the piano and practice it until you can play it comfortably. The first few notes and a starting fingering are shown in the worksheet. (It is not necessary to play the melody exactly as you hear it in the recording).
- Create an accompaniment using one of the suggested patterns.
- Practice and perform your arrangement.